August 24, 2016

Kunti meets Karna!

Sri Krishna, after informing Karna about his life’s secret and failing in persuading Karna made his second attempt in preventing the war. He informed Kunti about who her first son is. He asked Kunti to meet Karna and reveal the truth of her love for him.
The next day, early morning, by the time of sunrise, Kunti went to the banks of river Ganga where Karna will be worshipping the sun god. She waited patiently for Karna to finish his prayers.
Karna finished his prayers and saw Kunti waiting for him. Though Kunti’s eyes were filled with tears out of happiness and love for Karna, Karna was so calm. He bowed to Kunti and said, “Rajamatha! Karna, son of Adhiratha and Radhae bows to you with respect from the heart. Could you wait for a few moment while I go and donate to the Sadhus who are waiting for me?”
Kunti was impressed on Karna’s conduct. She watched proudly at Karna bestowing offerings to the Sadhus and getting blessings from them. After getting the blessings, he went towards Kunti and bowed again, “Rajamatha! Forgive me for my impolite manner of making you wait. Rajamatha! How may I assist you? What can I do you?”
Kunti felt gratified and spoke, “Oh Karna!  I’m delighted to see my son grown up in such a cultured manner. Karna, you are not Adhiratha’s son. You are not born to them. You…You…”-her words stumbled with mixed feeling of happiness, heaviness and humiliation. Kunti grasped her breath and continued, “Karna! You are my son. You were born to me. You were born as a result of a boon which I used on the sun god, trying to test the boon and Sun god unexpectedly… You are my son! You were born to me when I was in my parents’ house. You are my son!”

Karna was listening to Kunti’s words silently. Not delighted or shocked, Karna spoke calmly, “Matha! I know who you are. Krishna told me yesterday. I was born to you accidentally is what you are trying to say, right?”
Kunti was shocked listening to Karna’s words, “Karna! Forgive me for my choice of words. Forgive me for what I have done to you. It’s my fault. It’s my mistake. Being a princess, I felt ashamed and was afraid to take you to the palace or to introduce you to the people as my son, as you were born before me getting married. So I had no other choice but to leave you with a hope that someone will take care of you.”
“Of course, you felt ashamed. And as a result of that, I was treated gravely in front of all as a Charioteer’s son. Even your sons did it. My parents Adhiratha and Radhae took care of me. Right from the moment they took me in their hands, they have fed me, taught me, took care of me, were concerned about me, gave me strength and consoled and encouraged me when I was depressed. They were everything how a parent should me. Parenting is not only in giving birth but also in taking care of the kid and also in the way how you grow your kids and present them to the world. So, for everything that I’m now and for all the good things I do and for all the goodness and dharma in my heart, it’s all because of my parents, Adhiratha and Radhae. You have lost the right to call me as your son for you have abandoned me. You might have introduced me to this world but yet they are my parents. I wouldn’t leave them for this world.”-Karna spoke firmly yet reverently.
Kunti was moved to tears on listening to Karna’s words. Yet she regained her strength and spoke, trying to get Karna to her side, “Karna! I’m proud of you. Now that you know who you are, you can at least come to the Pandavas side, right? You will have five brothers to support and defend you. You will be the King. After this war, you will get to rule Hastinapur and even the world. You know that Duryodhana and his brothers are doing adharma and as a humanitarian you know that you have to support dharma. Pandavas are fighting for dharma. Join them. Battle against Duryodhana and his army. You, as an elder brother, can fight for your brothers, right?”


Karna was now dazed on hearing Kunti’s words. “Matha! How can you even say those words? Duryodhana may be following adharma, what he is doing now might not be what everybody wants, but, yet, he is my friend. I’m indebted to him. How do you expect me to come to the Pandavas? They are Duryodhana’s archenemies. And with the war, they will be my nemesis too. Especially, Arjuna. How do you expect me to come and live with you all? Draupathi insulted me in her Suyamwar, calling me as a low-caste. When Arjuna and others insulted me in the arena calling me as a non-Kshatriya, it was only Duryodhana who defended me. He was the only one who valued my talent irrespective of my caste. He was the one who gave this life that I’m living now, as a King. All those offerings I do are from his money. This life, wealth and recognition are all given by him. If I leave him now, I will be this world’s most selfish hearted person forever. Moreover, Duryodhana knew that Pithamaha and Dronacharya won’t kill the Pandavas. So, he has started this war trusting me. He has supported me all my life like any friend would do and I would not betray him at this time of need. If I betray him now, then there’ll be no difference in the way you have betrayed me and what you ask me to do now. So, I won’t leave Duryodhana for this world for I’m grateful to him, forever.”
Kunti felt ashamed and cried for all the insults Karna has faced because of her abandoning him. Karna was silent for few moments and spoke, “Matha! I wouldn’t leave Duryodhana. I don’t have a reason to fight in Pandavas side. This war is Draupathi’s war. Not my brothers’ war. And, my brothers have the right to fight on behalf of their wife. I have no reason at all. Even if I have reason, I wouldn’t raise my bow against Duryodhana. I know that what Duryodhana is doing is adharma. But to me, the world’s dharma and the Pandavas’ dharma don’t count. Even if I’m on the side of adharma, I’m happy to follow my dharma. And my dharma is, ‘to protect my friend Duryodhana and be there for him, when he needs me.’ Even if I’m getting killed because of me following my dharma, I will die with peace in my heart.”
Kunti spoke in a pain filled voice, “Oh Karna! I’m proud of you. I’m honored on giving birth to you. But, no mother will have the heart to watch her sons fighting against each other. As a mother, I don’t have a heart to see the Pandavas killing you or you killing them. So, kindly come to the Pandavas side.”
Karna was calm for a moment, smiled and spoke, “Well, So this is what Krishna sent you here for. If dharma has to be sustained, the Pandavas should live. Well, it’s dharma that will sustain on this earth for its Krishna’s desire. And I’m on its way, blocking it. Well…” Karna looked at Kunti and spoke, “Matha! As you are here to see me, I don’t wish to send you back empty-handed. So, here’s my promise. I promise you that among the Pandavas, I will kill only Arjuna. I will not kill the rest four of the Pandavas. So, after the war, if I die, you will have the Pandavas with you. If Arjuna dies, then I will be there for you along with the other four of the Pandavas. So, you will always have five sons. All you will bear is the pain of losing one son.”
Kunti spoke, “Karna. Could you do me a favor? It’s a favor from a mother for her son. Could you assure me that you will use the Brahmastra at Arjuna only once?”
         “From a mother… for her son! To her son!”-Karna understood Kunti’s favor and spoke, “And I was wrong. It’s not the Pandavas but only Arjuna who Krishna wants. I believe, now I know who you will be losing in the war. I’m happy that at least Krishna acknowledged my strength and talent against Arjuna, though sadly, I get to know it only this way. Well, as a favor to my mother, I promise you that I will use the Brahmastra only once at Arjuna. And I’m sure Krishna has got plans for that one time too! Matha, as a son, I would also like to ask for a favor from you.”
         Kunti sobbed for her selfish and disgraceful act and spoke, “Karna! I don’t think I have the right. I’m not a good hearted person like you. It’s the first time you are asking for. Ask me whatever you want.”
         “Matha, I would like you to keep this secret as a secret itself. I don’t want the Pandavas or the Kauravas to know about it. If the Pandavas know about it, they won’t fight against me. If Duryodhana comes to know about it, he won’t have the courage to win this war. Also, it will stir a mixed up emotions and confusions in everyone. So, I would like you to keep it as a secret, till the war ends. In case, if I die in the battle ground, I would like you to be there for me. You can only then reveal that I’m your son.”

         Kunti was terrified on hearing Karna words. “Karna! My son! I don’t have the heart to even think of you dying. It’s ripping my heart apart. If only I have kept you with me, you would not have gone through all those insults and sufferings. I’m the one who is responsible for you to be like this! For everything!”- Kunti started crying.
         “Matha, I would like you to do me only this favor. I know Krishna won’t be saying the truth to the Pandavas or to Draupathi. I would like you to do the same. I have to do preparations for the war and Duryodhana will be expecting me. I will take leave from you.”- Karna spoke in a humble voice and took her blessings and left for the palace.

         Kunti, unable to bear the truth and holding responsibility for Karna’s destiny left the banks with a heavy heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Radha Ki Krishna!

She sees her within his eyes!            Radha! Radha Rani is the only person who loved and lived for Krishna, a selfless love, no d...