April 02, 2016

Uluka-The Messenger


    
     It was the night before the great Kurukshetra war. Duryodhana who finds pleasure in insulting the Pandavas made sure he insults them further more before entering the battle field. He was totally certain that he will win the war for sure and he wanted to show his dominance and his contempt towards the Pandavas. So, he asks Uluka, Son of Saguni to go as a messenger to the Pandavas’ camp to convey his message. Saguni, Uluka, Duchadhana and Karna were present in Duryodhana’s camp while Duryodhana was delivering his message .


     Duryodhana looked up at Uluka and said-“Oh Uluka, go as a messenger to the Pandavas’ camp. Speak to those Pandavas the words that I ‘m going to speak, in the manner I say it. Look at Yudhistra directly in his eyes and say this: “Yudhistra, the time has finally come. It’s time for action. No more words and no more sentiments. We are about to fight a frightful war all because of you. Your sentimental and ostentatious peace talks through that juggler Krishna and Sanjaya are now understood that those were just dramas from your end to make everyone look at you as a peace lover. It’s so sad to see that your performances didn’t work well and you get to gather only those few people on your side for that so-called army.”

         Duryodhana narrowed his eyes and laughed in a mocking way. “Oh Son of Pandu, How do you even consider yourself as an honest and honorable man when you try to destroy the world and the life of the people who support you all just for your desire to rule Hastinapur? You present yourself as the most spiritual and virtuous person yet you have wicked intentions covertly inside your heart, like the cat in the story that Rishi Narada told to my father once.”

“If you are wondering which story, here it is: “Once upon a time, there was a cat that went to the Ganges. Standing on the bank of the river with upraised front paws, he said in a firm tone, “I am going to practice asceticism from now on. I will walk on the path of spirituality.” Saying so, the cat started carrying out its austerity, more seriously. The cat’s asceticism and serene conduct made the birds and mice to trust him. They even praised the cat’s devotion and in course time, they even took shelter of him, protected the cat from rain and cold. The birds and mice even forgot that the cat is their natural enemy and that it’s in the cat’s blood to feed on them. They went to the cat one day and said in most humble voice,” Oh great soul, we seek your protection. Be our refuge. Be like a best friend who helps us at times of trouble and protect us from our enemies.” The cat agreed halfheartedly and said-‘I will do whatever I can. You people have helped me during my austerity. It’s all because of your support I was able to carry out my austerity. But there’s a small favor I would need from you guys. My austerities without food has made me weaker and it’s tough for me to walk to the banks of the river to take bath. If one of you can assist me daily in taking me to the river for bath, I will be more grateful to you all.’ The mice and the birds believed in the cat’s words and they agreed to it. Every day morning, when the cat goes for taking bath, either a mice or a bird would assist the cat to the banks of river Ganges. The cat would eat them. While returning, the cat would lie that they left while he was taking bath. The cat would behave like it is eating fruits and vegetables daily. This went on for days and as a result, the cat grew fat and stronger whereas the count of the mice and birds withered. One wise mouse realized what’s happening. The mice gathered all and said, “Friends, if a cat is feeding on just fruits and vegetables, there’s no chance it could become this fat. Those who accompany the cat to the banks are missing daily. It clearly means that the cat is eating them. The cat is only pretending to be following the path of spirituality but in real, it’s feeding on us. We will be safe only if we all escape from the cat.” The other mice and birds agreed to it and they fled away. The abandoned cat came to know that the mice and birds realized its plan and escaped. Saddened, the cat too returned to where it came from.”
Wax house
   “Oh Yudhistra, You are just like the cat. Accompanied by your brothers, you are behaving in the same way. You speak as if you are a gentleman but in real, your acts say otherwise. At least in this battle, come out and fight like you are a Kshatriya. Don’t hide yourself. Your mother, Matha Kunti was crying all the time while you people were in exile. At least try to satisfy her. Win this war, if it is possible, for her sake. She might think at least now that she has given birth to only Kshatriyas. Show us your real strength. Don’t fall for your weakness and go for the peace talks again. Remember all those I have done to you all: Poisoning Bhīma, The wax house, Insulting Draupathi, the dice game…Oh there are lots that I can bring up but I believe these are more than enough to make you people come and fight. With that so-called army! Oh yeah! Army! Yudhistra, don’t get scared tomorrow on seeing the vast army of mine marching to destroy you people and your hope of survival because we are fighting under the mighty Bhishma, Dronacharya, Krpacharya and my Karna.”

Duryodhana ridiculed and mocked the Pandavas and their army. He taunted them reminding about the vows they took during Draupathi’s Cheer Haran- “Oh, I insulted your wife and dragged her to the court and you all stood there doing nothing. How do you all consider yourself as a Kshatriya? How do you even consider yourself as a man when you let someone else drag your wife? Draupathi was not insulted by me or by my brothers but by you all, the Pandavas. She came to this family believing you five and yet you all left her unfortified. Shame on you all, sons of Pandu. You five stood there like dead meat while your wife was insulted and do you all even consider yourself as great warriors!?  If you all are man, don’t let your insult go unavenged.”  He admired himself for all his powers and also his victory in sending the Pandavas to exile. He delivered his individual message to every son of Pandu. He conveyed his message to Krishna too, in his own way.


Cheer Haran
      Duryodhana laughed admiring at his power. He continued his egotistical message as a result of the encouragements from Saguni and Duchadhana. They cheered him to speak more ill of the Pandavas and Draupathi. Duryodhana continued his boastful message,” I am far superior to you all. I have made you guys live in exile. I have made you all live in fear by hiding yourself. The alleged talented Arjuna wore bangles to hide from me. Bhīma, the one who swore to kill me and my brothers, hid himself in the kitchen, cleaning pots and utensils. Is this not enough to prove that I am superior? Remember, I have no fear on Krishna or the Pandavas or any of the fools and chumps who chose to fight against me. No matter what you all try, I will never let you, the Pandavas, to live. I will never give you people land to rule. I, in fact, will remove you all from the face of the earth. Let the battle begin tomorrow. Then you people will realize your idiocy in fighting against me. You all are like the fish in a tank that never knows about ocean. You all think yourself so high and talented than the mighty and multi-talented gurus like Pithamaha Bhishma, Dronacharya and Krpacharya. You all are like ants trying to render a mountain with its teeny-weeny teeth. Come to the battle field tomorrow morning to see how vast my army is. To know how many supporters are there for me. The moment you see the vast limitless army of mine, not only your desire to rule Hastinapur but even your beliefs of ruling the world will disappear. For tomorrow, I am going to prove you all, yet again that I am the rightful ruler of this world.”

Duryodhana concluded his message and told Uluka to deliver the message, as it is. Uluka memorized every single word of Duryodhana’s one hour long message. He mounted on his chariot and rode towards the camp of the Pandavas. Uluka knew that Duryodhana’s message will provoke the Pandavas. He felt his nerves trembling out of fretfulness while he was entering the tent of the Pandavas. Krishna, the Pandavas, Dhrishtadyumna, Sikandi and other chiefs were present in the tent.

Uluka bowed in front of Yudhistra and continued in a quivering tone, "I have come here on the command of Duryodhana. Kindly see me only as a messenger. On hearing my words, don’t get angry on me for I will speak only what Duryodhana has told me to say and nothing more. No part of the message I convey comes from my heart.”

Yudhistra smiled at Uluka and showed him a seat to sit and relax. “Don’t be afraid, Uluka. We have no reason to be mad at you. Speak freely. We all know that my brother, Duryodhana has his own reasons to rule Hastinapur and that he has failed to see what this war means to him and to his brothers. He failed to anticipate the effect of this war on Pithamaha and Guru Dronacharya, for his head is full of pride and insatiability. We know that the news you brought is definitely not peace favoring. Tell us what he has conveyed through you. You are only a messenger and we won’t hurt the messengers.”

Uluka sensed that all pairs of eyes in the tent were fixed upon him. With a heavy burden running through his nerves, Uluka cleared his throat and stood up. He started conveying Duryodhana’s message. While he was continuing, he felt the ire and agitations developing around him. With nerves of fear, Uluka started conveying the message that was meant for the five brothers and the separate message meant for Yudhistra.

Uluka paused to grasp his breath wondering this might even be his last breath. Bhīma utilized the moment of gap and rose from his seat. He started to move towards Uluka with anger. Yudhistra stopped Bhīma saying, “Bhīma, he is just a messenger. Control yourself and be seated. Let’s listen to the rest.”

Yudhistra turned towards Uluka and said in a polite voice,” Uluka, Do you need something to ease your throat? Take your time and relax. You said that Duryodhana has sent message to all of my brothers. Convey the rest too.”

Uluka staggered without words. “Do you really want to hear the rest too?”- He mumbled in fear.

          Of course. We have to, right?”- Yudhistra said with a dejected smile.

   Uluka turned his eyes towards Bhīma who was already ready to explode anytime. Uluka stood silent for a moment, took a deep breath and continued-"Duryodhana’s next message is for Bhīma. He says: “You boaster! I heard you have become a good cook after working in King Virada’s Kitchen. You vowed that you will rip Duchadhana’s heart and drink his blood, right! Let me tell you something. Holding a knife in kitchen is not the same as holding a mace in battle. Do you even remember how to hold a mace? If you choose asylum, I can allow you to cook in my kitchen, considering your experiences!”

Uluka knew that hearing the message Bhīma would really be enraged. So, he didn’t even pause to give time for Bhīma to respond or react. He turned towards Arjuna and continued, “Duryodhana says-“Arjuna! Partha! The greatest archer in this world,ever!! I heard you spent your time in Virada’s kingdom with women. Singing, dancing and having fun! Heard you were into it. It was difficult to differentiate you from other ladies in the palace it seemed. I wonder how a person like you is going to kill …no… no… no...’Killing’ is a tough effort for you, Hmmm…’stand against’ will be the correct term! Right, how is it that someone like you is going to stand against the great Pithamaha Bhishma and the great warrior Karna? Answer me, Lady! I would really like to know the answer. Are you sure you can hold the pressure in the battle field, Lady!?”

          Uluka turned towards Nakula and Sahadeva while Arjuna was trying to hold his fury and said, "Duryodhana says to you both-” Nakula and Sahadeva! Oh, the darlings of the Pandavas! I believe you both would have realized by now that you both belong only in the stable and cowsheds and not in the battle filed. I would really like to employ you both, the talented and authentic workers in my stable and cowshed, But, I am sorry, for I will be killing you both in the war. It really hurts me to lose such great labors for my country.

          Uluka hesitated to continue and starred at Krishna with questions filled in his eyes. Sheer moment of silence persisted in the tent. Krishna sensed Uluka’s fear and spoke with a friendly smile on his lotus lips, “Uluka, Duryodhana has sent message for me too, right? Do tell me, he didn’t forget me. I am eager to listen to it. Do convey it fast before I lose my patience.”
  
  Bracing himself, Uluka said, “Duryodhana said-“That illusionist Krishna will be seated there, right! You illusionist Krishna, I am not afraid of your tricks and magic. I am not like one of your cows in Vrindhavan to follow you blindly.  I remember your performance-that entertaining universal form which you exhibited while you were in Hastinapur for peace talks. That was much entertaining. Let’s meet in the battle field. Come in that mystical form and let’s see what difference it will make. Oh! Sorry…I forgot that you will be only controlling the horses in Arjuna’s chariot! You won’t be holding weapons, right! Poor Krishna, after all those illusions and enactments all you get to do is only control the horses. Awww…You are just an escape artist. Just like how you were while stealing butter. Teach some of your moves to those Pandavas. It might be useful for them when they try to run away from the battle field, unable to stand against my terrifying army. I know you and your powers. I, Duryodhana, standing on my simple chariot and holding my most powerful mace, challenge you and Arjuna who have the Gandiva bow and the blessing of limitless quivers and the most powerful chariot given by Lord Agni.  See, now you all will know who is more powerful. You all come to fight with me getting support from the Lord and devas. Doesn’t that say that you all are afraid of me! I still could face thousands of Krishnas and Arjunas and yet will be able to make you people abscond from the battle field.”

Uluka saw Krishna wondering what is running inside Krishna’s head who was listening calmly, without any expression on his face. Uluka turned towards Yudhistra and bowed at him, "That’s the message Duryodhana wanted me to convey to you all. I swear none of those came from my heart.”

 Uluka finished conveying Duryodhana’s message to all. He sensed that everyone were speechless out of rage. The air inside the tent was intense with silence and wrath waiting for the hot explosions. Uluka was sure that this will be his last night on earth. Uluka spun his dreaded eyes on everyone with his head still bowed and noticed Krishna smiling at him while everyone else where fleeting shafts of fury on him.

Sensing Uluka’s fear from his looks, Krishna grinned and said, "Uluka, Go back to Duryodhana and tell him that we got his message and the connotation. Let it be as he has thought and referred. The battle will begin tomorrow and let’s meet in the battle field tomorrow morning.”

Enraged already on the abusive words from Duryodhana, Bhīma’s eyes turned red out of anger and listening to Krishna’s simple response, Bhīma delivered an angry look on Krishna, “That’s it!? Is that all you want to convey to that heartless creature!?” Bhīma turned towards Uluka and roared, "Say this to that callous creature. “You fool, Duryodhana! I remember every single word of my vow. You have pushed your fate to this situation which is not only going to kill you but also your brothers. Be prepared from tomorrow to see your brothers being grounded in the battle field in my very arms that’s going to kill you too. Be prepared to see the death of your beloved Duchadhana while I drink his blood, right in front of your eyes before I grind him and stab him to death. Even before those images will vanish from your mind, I will kill you. I am going to be your worst nightmare from today. To you and to your brothers. I swear by my soul that the death of you and your brothers, your sons, nephews, cousins and kings who support you is near.””

Bhīma came back to his seat relieving Uluka from his fear of being killed by Bhīma. Sahadeva rose from his seat and spoke to Uluka, “Uluka, I have a message for both Duryodhana and your father. Communicate to Duryodhana: "You dupe! You have invited death by yourself. Motivated by Uncle Saguni, you are thinking you can win this world. Remember that you were born only to destroy the life of your own brothers. And you will see it yourself when my brother Bhīma slays everyone, in front of your eyes”. Uluka, convey this to your Father, Saguni: “You fool! You are the one who is behind all this and the Kuru dynasty’s fate has come to this situation, all just because of your tainted heart and brain. You have always behaved with malicious intentions in your heart. Live to see how your plans are going to be the reason for the death of your sons and Duryodhana, till I kill you.”

Uluka sensed that Duryodhana’s message has really stirred what Duryodhana wished for. There was turmoil in the Pandavas’ tent and Uluka started to pray for his time to run back to the Kauravas.

Arjuna stood up and calmed the roar of the kings and looked up at Uluka. “Uluka, convey my message to Duryodhana. “Duryodhana, tomorrow in the battle field you will have my reply delivered through my Gandiva. Do you consider yourself as a Kshatriya? A real Kshatriya fights with his enemies using his strength and not using words. Only eunuchs will do that. You are a coward. A weakling who lives happy life thinking he is powerful. Remember that the life you live now is on the shadow of the mighty strength of Pithamaha Bhishma, Dronacharya and your father’s love. You hide yourself behind all these old man and call yourself as mighty warrior!? Remember, the Sons of Pandu will live by their words. We will do what we have sworn. So, be ready to die.”

Yudhistra who was sitting silent said in a firm voice, “Convey my message to Duryodhana and his brothers. “Duryodhana, I got your message. You have judged me wrongly. I don’t desire even ants and worms. I do not have any desire to rule Hastinapur or to hurt your father’s feelings and your wish. That’s why I agreed for five villages. To avoid this war. You are conquered by lust. You were not ready to take the advices of Uncle Vidhura, Pithamaha, Sanjaya, your father and even Krishna’s. Even Bhīma was ready for  peace, ignoring his vows. But you were never ready to listen with your inadequate understanding. So, remember that it’s only because of you this war is going to happen. A war, to show you that envy and thirst to power will take you nowhere. You have taken the path of evil, my brother. You challenge us to war only based on others’ expertise. There’s still time for you to think but I know you won’t do the rethinking part. So, don’t roar so much.

Uluka was taken aback listening to Yudhistra’s words. Even the silent Yudhistra has spoken what’s in his heart. Clearly, the message of Duryodhana has kindled the Pandavas like bush fire. Now, Uluka was intensely fretful. He felt the restlessness in the tent. Uluka bowed before Yudhistra and prepared to leave before the Pandavas or anyone in the tent start their flaming message.

Krishna said in an unruffled tone, “Uluka, Go back safely. While you convey the messages from here, add mine too: “Duryodhana, I know that you have sent such a message to me because I have sworn I won’t fight. Remember that I have taken Yudhistra’s words into consideration. That this war is among you brothers and so they have to avenge and pay you back and not me. Else, for what you have done to Draupathi, I would have burnt you and your brothers into ashes on that very day itself. But, I swear to you Duryodhana, awake or asleep, you will hear my voice throbbing you, till death. Neither of the Pandu sons is afraid of you. And same is with the army here. So be prepared to face the vows of Bhīma and Arjuna in the battle field.”

Bhīma mangled his hands, breathed heavily and rose from his seat. Not able to suppress his rage, he spoke harshly, “Add this too, Uluka. “Duryodhana, I confront you sinful creature. You and your brothers should have remained in Hastinapur itself. You all made a mistake coming here. Know me as the death of Dhritarashtra’s sons. It’s going to be a long night for me for I have to wait till the morning to meet you all and kill you people.”"

As soon as Bhīma has finished, Arjuna rose. Not satisfied in his abrupt response to Duryodhana, he spoke again, “Tell this too, Uluka. "Oh Duryodhana, I know why you have made Pithamaha Bhisma as the commander in chief, you sinful soul. You think we will never attack him or Dronacharya? Although I worship my Guru and my Grandfather more than my life, they are on your side. You are the one in their head. They act and fight only because of you. Such a possessed wisdom and knowledge all are gone waste just because you are taking control of their senses. And for that, Bhīma is going to kill you. And I will kill Pithamaha for taking your side. They chose death by being with you and they knew it. So don’t have any hopes and dreams of killing us or ruling the world.”"

Uluka sensed that Arjuna has finished his message. He bowed to the people assembled and started to leave the tent with a ray of hope and happiness inside him. Even before he could cross everyone, Dhrishtadyumna rose from his seat with his voice echoing the tent, “Uluka, Take my message too to your Prince." Uluka’s ray of hope dimmed and he stood frozen wondering what message it is going to be. Dhrishtadyumna continued when Uluka turned towards him with eyes of fear, “Tell Duryodhana that I was born to kill Dronacharya. There’s no hope for Dronacharya to survive till the end of the war and so there’s no hope for the Kauravas to win too. Duryodhana’s followers will be killed by me. Tell him to lose the talk and dreams. Ask him to come and fight like a Kshatriya.”

Uluka turned his fear soaked eyes towards Yudhistra. Yudhistra nodded his head in an accepting way. Uluka bowed and with his palms folded, he rushed towards the entrance of the tent walking backwards. He ran over to his chariot and leapt aboard, urging his horses back to the Kauravas camp. Yudhistra discussed with Dhrishtadyumna, the commander in chief of the Pandavas and began to move his army into position.

 Night has fallen and with the fierce responses from the Pandavas camp, Uluka went back to Kauravas’ camp. He was able to hear Duryodhana and Duchadhana still mocking the Pandavas and laughing hysterically.  Uluka entered into Duryodhana’s tent. He flicked through the tent and realized that the Kauravas were all celebrating and having fun. Duryodhana and Duchadhana were drunk and were teasing the Pandavas. “Uluka, I was waiting for you all this time. Come, come. Come fast and tell me how those witty brothers of mine responded to my message. How was their face on listening to message? Afraid, scared to death, terrorized! I believe Bhīma would have shouted out of anger, like a dog barking at the one who throws stones on it. Uluka delivered the messages of the Pandavas, Krishna and Dhrishtadyumna. Duryodhana laughed riotously listening to Uluka’s words and said in a mocking way, “Oh! They think they are brave and not terrified! Poor brothers!!! Trying to scare me with their rage filled words! They are afraid. They know that their army will not last more than a day. Not especially against our great Pithamaha Bhishma.  I don’t need anyone else when I have Pithamaha Bhisma, my beloved friend Karna and Dronacharya. Not to exclude the one who cannot be killed- my dear Aswathama.”

Karna who was present in the tent spoke in a firm voice, “That’s true Duryodhana. But you should not be taking them so easily. I won’t be in the battle field. And I don’t think Pithamaha Bhishma will have the inner strength to kill Arjuna or the other Pandavas. So, Arjuna has got a lead there. You should be aware of that.”

Duryodhana who was fully drunk said in a hysterical voice, “Ha Ha Ha… Arjuna!? Against Pithamaha!?  Arjuna will speak bravely. He will also act bravely. He will be valiant, courageous, bold and fearless. All until he sees Pithamaha. His heart will wobble when he sees Pithamaha. Not out of fear but out of respect! I know him. I have seen him for ages. Just wait and see tomorrow. The Arjuna who spoke boldly and vowed that he will kill Pithamaha Bhishma will hardly dare to raise an arrow against his grandfather when he sees him in the battle field.”

Duryodhana was full of confident that he will win the war and that he will get to kill the Pandavas even if Bhisma and Dronacharya failed to do. He assembled the council and discussed with Dronacharya, Saguni, Duchadhana, Aswathama and Pithamaha Bhishma, the commander in chief about organizing the Kauravas army in the attack genre and not in defense genre. With the sunrise, begins the war and Duryodhana was so full of hope waiting to destroy the Pandavas, forever, this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Radha Ki Krishna!

She sees her within his eyes!            Radha! Radha Rani is the only person who loved and lived for Krishna, a selfless love, no d...