May 01, 2017

Krishnavatar-The Conclusion


       Witnessing the death of the loved ones is most painful. But, to be responsible for the death of the ones whom you loved and lived for, leaving your love and happy dreams has got no words to express the pain. With the death of his sons, grandsons and other Yadavas, Krishna remembered the curse of Gandhari. 36 years after the great Kurukshetra war, Gandhari’s curse found its course. Krishna stood stranded and wordless.
     “Lord, almost all of the Yadava men have been killed. Your sons and Grandsons too are dead. Let’s go to Lord Balram and report the problem. We should at least save our Yadava women and the children. The guards said Lord Balram was seen by the ocean, meditating under a tree.”-saying so, Daruka brought Krishna back to senses. Krishna followed Daruka like he was under some spell.
Krishna and Daruka went to the beach and found Lord Balram meditating beneath a wide tree. While Krishna and Daruka were approaching towards Balram, they noticed a shiny milky white snake coming out from Balram’s mouth. The snake entered into the waters and disappeared. The King of Serpants, AdiSesha left the human body and reached VishnuLok. Takshaka, Vasuki and Karkotaka, the divine snakes received their king with honor and devotion. With AdiSesha within it, the ocean itself appeared milky white in color, like the ParKadal (Ksheera Saagara).

          Watching Lord Balram’s exodus, Krishna understood that it’s time for him to leave the earth. Turning towards Daruka, Krishna said- “Daruka, go to Hastinapur. Report the situation of Dwaraka to King Yudhistra and to his brothers. Ask Arjuna to come and save the women and children. Also tell him that brother Balram is no more and I too would have left by the time he reaches here. I built Dwaraka getting land from the sea. Sooner, the sea itself will take her land back. Before Dwaraka is flooded, get Arjuna to save the women and children of the Yadavas. Also, for the surviving Yadavas, crown my grandson, Vajra as the King. The Pandavas will help you all to settle.” Listening to Krishna’s words, Daruka was stuck without thoughts and his mind was parched without words. He drove his horse to Hastinapur disheartened.
          Krishna and his friend Vabhru were alone left. Vabhru stood there unable to control himself from the domination of the consumed wine. Krishna looked at Vabhru and spoke, “Vabhru, you leave to Dwaraka and take care of the women and the children till Arjuna comes.”
          Vabhru, helpless because of the wine started moving towards Dwaraka. As Vabhru was walking drunk and uncontrollable, an arrow that came out of one of the dead Yadavas’ aimed bow because of wind, struck him in the heart and he too was killed. Witnessing his friend’s death, Krishna was dispirited.
Krishna left for his Palace. He went to his father, Lord Vasudev’s chamber. He bowed to him and said in a very depressed voice-“Father, I believe you are aware of the massacre and the clashes. Your grandsons and great grandsons are all dead. Even brother, Lord Balram is also no more. I do not wish to live in a place where my brother has no reason to live. I do not have the strength to live in the magnificent Dwaraka city without the Yadavas. I have sent Daruka to get Arjuna to Dwaraka, to protect our women and children. Wait for Arjuna’s arrival. I am going to leave to the forest and spend my final moments in penance.”
          Disheartened, Krishna took leave from his father, his mother and his wives. He informed about Lord Balram’s exodus to Revati, Balram’s wife. The women sobbed once they heard that Krishna is leaving Dwaraka. Krishna left the palace with just sharing glance on his beloved wives. The eyes soaked in tears were speechless. Krishna did not have words to speak. All he said to everyone was only to stay safe till Arjuna’s arrival.He retired to the forest and sat beneath a tree in Yogic trance. He recollected all the cherishing moments of his life- His childhood days in Gokulam, sunset by the banks of Yamuna river, his leisure times with Balram and friends, Radha’s love, the gopas and gopis, meeting Vasudev and Devaki for the first time, Rukmani’s devotion, Bama’s love, his days with Subhadra and Balram, his moments with Sudhama, Uddhava, Vabhru, Bhishma, Vidhura and his sons and grandsons,... He recalled the Kurukshetra war which reminded him that the purpose of his life was the protection of the Dharma and as it has been achieved, the time for his end is near. With his mind immersed in Gandhari’s curse and the effects of the war, he laid his head rest on the tree.
          Uddhava reached Dwaraka on hearing the news about the fight in Dwaraka. By the time Uddhava reached Dwaraka, Krishna has left for the forest. Uddhava went rushing into the forest, looking for his best friend Krishna.
          There was a hunter named Jara, who lived by the shore. He stayed in the forest close to Dwaraka. He had his arrows made with the powdered iron rod that was found inside the fishes that he caught for food.The day the Yadavas were killed, Jara was chasing a deer while he was hunting in the deep forest with the help of his poisoned arrows. He noticed something lotus pinkish in color moving in the bushes and mistook it as a deer. He aimed his poisoned arrow at the target and dispatched his arrow all the way directly into the bush. Though he was wrong on his prey, his aim did hit exactly where he aimed it. When Jara went close to collect his meat for meal, he noticed that it was not a deer but Krishna’s feet! Mistaking that to be a deer, Jara has dispatched the arrow that pierced all the way into Krishna’s left foot.

          Terrified and worried, Jara begged for mercy. “Oh dear Jara, don’t be scared or sorry as these are the ways of destiny. We are all bound by karma! God or human...mortal or immortal, every form of life is.”
Jara saw Krishna’s face. The face that smiled all the time to relieve the pain of beloved followers and citizens appeared exhausted.  While Jara was standing helpless, Uddhava came running hearing the voice of Jara. He was stunned to see Krishna lying beneath the tree with a poisoned arrow piercing his foot and blood flowing outside his soft foot. Krishna smiled at Uddhava and called him closer. Uddhava, who was now totally speechless, was crying profoundly, “Krishna! Did I come all this way to just see you like this? Come with me. I will take you to Gokulam or Dwaraka.”
          Calm and still smiling at his friend; Krishna laid his hands on Uddhava’s shoulders and spoke in a soft and pleasing voice, “Uddhava, this is my destiny. I cannot run away from it, right? Listen to me. I can see that the end of Yadava clan is near. Inform about my demise to my family and people of Dwaraka. Also to Matha Yashoda and Nanda Gopa in Gokulam. And to Radha. I know you are going to have most important part of life in the coming days. Your future is going to be the most treasured moments for this world.”
          “Krishna, I do not wish to live a life without you. Take me with you. You are my everything! Do not leave me, please. Take me with you.”-Uddhava was crying profoundly.
          Krishna still smiling at his friend patted on his shoulders and said in a concerned voice, “Uddhava! My destiny is over and so I’m leaving. You will leave when your time comes. Just because I’m leaving earth doesn’t mean I’m gone forever. I left Vrindhavan. I also left Gokulam and Mathura inevitably. Now I have left Dwaraka and eventually will leave this world. But my Vaikuntha will always be there. Me too. You will reach me when your time comes. Stay calm and be resourceful till then, my dear Uddhava.”
          “How can you be so calm, Krishna? You are leaving your beloved people. You are leaving your loved ones and your trusted ones. You are leaving the beautiful city that you created. How can you be so calm without wondering what will happen to all?”- asked Uddhava with teary eyes.
          “Why, Uddhava? Aren’t you detached? It’s all in the mind, Uddhava. The restless mind will fall for diversity, losses and for every action and inaction. Control your mind with faith. When you control your mind and see with your senses, you will see the world in you and also yourself in me, The Supreme. Wisdom is the only thing in this world, Uddhava. Only with the help of wisdom you can have peace in you. Only with wisdom, you will have faith and patience. Everything that’s worldly will come to an end eventually, Uddhava.”- said Krishna with a smiling face.
        Krishna revealed to Uddhava, the Uddhava Gita (also known as Hamsa Gita), to console him and also to unshackle him from sadness and pain of separation, stating that, “Uddhava, only material things are bound to leave earth. Beyond materialistic life lies spirituality.  Spiritual love is not destined to leave. You have to accept it in your heart and should have faith in it. Though I leave this earth physically, I will be here, spiritually. Radha let me leave Vrindhavan because she knew it. Her love for me is spiritual. She cried when I left, she wept every single day in our meeting place but she never expected me to return. Because I was always with her: in her heart, in the name of love. Uddhava, you need to learn. A goose will enjoy its time in the waters but it will not let the water stick to its feathers. Live life in this materialistic world like that.”

          Uddhava realized the truth of life. He realized that he is only knowledgeable but not wise. He realized that he knows about Vedas but in coping with the reality, he is like the gopas and gopis, always complaining. He realized the love of Radha for Krishna and what devotion, surrender or love is, for real. He realized he did not have the heart and wisdom like Radha, ‘to accept and let go’.
          Uddhava spoke in a sad voice, “Krishna! I realize what you are saying is true. It is hard for me to let you go. You are going to live in my heart forever. Without you to guide me, what am I going to do here? What will I do for the rest of my life without you beside me? Who will guide me, teach me, hear me and care for me like you? What’s my purpose without you here?”
          Krishna held Uddhava’s hands to console him and spoke softly, “Uddhava, I will always be there for you, within you. You have a purpose to fulfill. Compile my teachings and let the world realize the true meaning of life. Help the people to live a peaceful life based on dharma. You will play a major role in helping the innocent people to lead a happy life based on dharma. But now, I need you to go to Dwaraka and inform about my death to my family. By the time you reach there, Arjuna will be there. Ask him to lead the Yadavas. You go to Badarika ashram. Proceed on your own and compile my advices and preach for the betterment of the people to come.”
          With heaviness in his heart, Uddhava bowed in front of his friend and took leave from him. He went towards Dwaraka as insisted by Krishna. Jara stood there listening to Krishna’s words. Krishna looked at Jara with a smile in his face.
“Do not you worry, Jara. You will attain salvation. This is all Karma. Be with peace now.”- Krishna spoke with assurance in his voice.
Unrestrained, Jara spoke- “You cannot do this to me! Forgiving me who is responsible for your death will chase me forever.”
Krishna responded gently and asked him to leave. He started to meditate till his last breath. Jara left the place and ran deep into the forest aimlessly, till his legs hurt. Krishna’s words were echoing in his mind and Krishna’s pain filled yet smiling appearance flashed every second in front of his eyes. He sat under a tree and sobbed devastatingly.
          Krishna’s voice echoed through the trees and flowers - “Do not you hurt yourself by blaming yourself for everything happened, Jara. The purpose of my life is over and your purpose here was to end my life. Somehow it’s all karma. You were just a tool. You satisfied a mother’s heart that cursed me while it was filled with pain. Find peace in yourself. Don’t worry.
Krishna’s words calmed down Jara’s heart. Cleared on his mind, Jara sat in yogic posture and started his penance, till his last breath.
          Krishna, who was most loved and treasured by all, breathed his last breath and died alone in the forest in Yogic stance. He went back to his world, accomplishing his purpose and filling every heart with love for him, forever.

PS:
§  Vajra, Son of Aniruddha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Radha Ki Krishna!

She sees her within his eyes!            Radha! Radha Rani is the only person who loved and lived for Krishna, a selfless love, no d...