April 25, 2017

Kurukshetra War - Night 17



     Hearing the death of the mighty Karna, King Drithirashtra and Queen Gandhari were grief struck. Weeping for the death of Karna who was her only hope for Duryodhana to be alive and victorious, Queen Gandhari said unto her King– “O King, the final defender too has finally reached heaven, trying to protect your son. As predicted by the mighty Pithamaha, Dronacharya and Vidhura, our last and final hope too has dimmed. All those that you have heard so far is because of all the sins you and Duryodhana have done to the Pandavas. For our son, the mighty Karna has died opposing his brothers! Radhey and Adhiratha have raised a good son but look at the way, the King and Queen of great Hastinapur raised their sons! We are going to be insulted till the end of the world as the worst parents. We are also being responsible for the death of the high souled people like Pithamaha, Dronacharya and Karna.”
          Filled with fretfulness, Queen Gandhari fell unconscious. The daughter-in-laws of the King and the Queen, who were nearby, took her to her bed.     
      “Gandhari was always right, Vidhura. I ignored her words and warnings because of my ego. Now, for the same reason, I am losing all my sons. The death of undefeatable mighty Pithamaha, Drona and Karna is just the way destiny is working for the Pandavas to win. For dharma to win. My heart is really made of stone for it was able to foresee all this and yet it supported war. Also, even after hearing all their deaths, it’s still beating and hasn’t shattered into pieces. I remained silent when my son did all the evils and insults to the Pandavas and as a result, all I can do now is to remain silent, when my sons bear the fruits of their evil doings.”-  Crestfallen King spoke recalling all the harms they have done to the Sons of Pandu.
          With no words to console the King, Vidhura and Sanjaya stood looking at the King, whose aimless eyes were fixed on the night sky, engulfing the grief in his heart.
          Taking a deep breath, the King spoke – “Sanjaya, tell me what happened in both the camps after Karna’s death.”
          In the meantime, hearing about his friend’s death, Duryodhana came to the place where Karna rests, pierced by the golden shafts of Arjuna. Witnessing Duryodhana depressed, Arjuna and the other sons of Pandu were filled with joy. Arjuna was looking splendid with his Gandiva in his hands. Witnessing Karna lying dead, Yudhistra, relieved of his fear, felt like he was newly born. Bhīma was embracing Arjuna now and then, feeling proud on Arjuna’s achievement. Nakula and Sahadeva stood enjoying their victory against the Kauravas. Krishna…stood there in silence, not enjoying or participating with the Pandavas in celebrating but with his eyes fixed on Karna. Krishna’s tears rested in his eyes, waiting for Krishna’s permission to leave the eyes.
          “O Karna! Trying to save my life, you have given your life!! Where will anyone get a friend like me?! Arjuna, who considers himself as greatest archer has slain you only when you were unarmed? Consider that as a shame to him and as an example to prove your immeasurable mightiness, my friend. In fact, you are mightier and talented than Arjuna, my friend. You died proving that you are mighty. Without you, I have no interest on the throne. Without you, I have no hope to even fight anymore, O Karna. I am deprived of the ray of my life which is you Karna. You are my only refugee. What will I do now?” – cried Duryodhana.
          Though Arjuna was raged on hearing Duryodhana’s words, he did not speak a word, trying to grasp the truth in it. While the Pandavas were enjoying the moment beholding Duryodhana crying, the cry of a women in the battlefield moved their hearts. The voice seemed familiar to them. Confused, they looked at each other and looked at the direction from where the voice was approaching towards them.
          “O my dear Son!” – crying aloud from her heart, Kunti came running towards them, crossing all the slayed warriors and steeds in the battlefield.
          Baffled, Yudhistra grabbed his mother and spoke – “Mother, calm down. Arjuna is alive. Karna is only slain by our mighty Arjuna. There’s none who can defeat Arjuna.”
          “My son is dead! My son left me…My son is dead!”-crying out aloud, Kunti, removing herself from Yudhistra’s hands, fell on the ground holding Karna in her hands.
Kunti crying for her son Karna!
          Looking at Kunti, even Duryodhana was stunned, unable to understand what was happening, just like his cousin brothers, the Pandavas.
          “Mother! Karna is only slain. Your son, Arjuna is alive. I am right here! You must be confused.” – addressed Arjuna, trying to compose Kunti.
          “No…No… my son is lying dead! My son…Karna… the eldest of you five…my son, Karna…my son…!”- Tears and the burden of truth in her heart choked her words. Kunti, with teary eyes, explained the truth and her conversation with Karna before war.
          Shocked on hearing Kunti’s words, everyone stood wordless. Duryodhana, the first to regain his senses, looking at his friend with expressionless pale eyes wailed – “O Karna! You are son of Matha Kunti!?!? You fought against your brothers, for my sake!? For a friend, you stood against your family?! Just because I am your friend, just because, I had eyes on the throne, you remained silent and died fighting for me!? Karna… this war and devastation would not have happened if you had told me who you really are. I, myself, would have crowned you as the King! How will I ever be able to repay you? How will I be able to rule or even live? O friend!”
          Felt ashamed for not being aware of the heart of Karna, Duryodhana wept and ran away from the battlefield. Mortified on losing his brothers, his seniors and now his friend, all because of his greed for the throne, Duryodhana hid himself beneath the waters of Lake Dvaipayana.
          “Karna is our brother!! Mother, if Karna is our brother, he has the right to be the King. This whole war could have been averted if you had informed us about this. All because of you… all because of you...so many deaths, so many losses and pain in people’s hearts. Because of your silence, I started this war and the world will blame me for all these death! You are responsible for all this. I curse that no women in this world ever can hold a secret in her heart.”- filled with pain, Yudhistra cursed and cried looking at Karna.
          “Madhava! You know all this and yet you remained silent!? Now the burden and blame of killing my brother is on me!? How will I be able to save myself from this burden? Why have you done this to me?”- cried Arjuna.
          “You killed him!? Arjuna…do you think you are strong enough to slay Karna? You, individually, could have never defeated him. For saving your life, your father, Lord Indra beseeched the mighty protective armor from Karna. The one with which he was born. Then, your mother, Matha Kunti made Karna to swear that he should use the Nagastra only once at you and never against your brothers. A chariot rider cursed him that, when Karna’s mightiness is needed the most in the battlefield to protect him, his chariot’s wheel will plunge into earth. And most of all, Lord Parasuram cursed Karna that he will forget the mantras to invoke the celestial weapons. I pressed the chariot and protected you from the Nagastra. Thus, we all made the mighty Karna as a simple man on earth and not a warrior, so that you could kill him. The Karna you slew was not the mighty Karna known to all. The one you killed indeed was only the Karna who was deprived of his archery skills and incarcerated by fate. So, don’t think that you hold the blame and burden. None of you could have defeated him when he is the best in what he did. And here you are, like your brother,  afraid of the blame the world will talk about instead of your brother’s death and not knowing about the pain he and your mother was going through all these days!?” – said Krishna, sounding like thunder.
 Seeing Arjuna and others lowering their heads out of shame, Krishna, after a moment of silence, continued- “It’s all way of destiny, Arjuna. Dharma should be sustained on earth. For that, you have to be protected. It’s all fated. So, don’t take the burden to your heart and do what should be done. Prepare for the final sacraments of Karna. Give him a peaceful send off.”
          Listening to Krishna’s words, Yudhistra and his brothers carried out the final rituals of Karna. Arjuna cremated his brother Karna, expecting a peaceful after life for Karna. The Pandavas then proceeded to the camp for the preparations of next day’s war.
          Meanwhile, in Hastinapur, Queen Gandhari regained her conscious. She wept for being unable to save her sons. While everyone gathered were trying to console her, she reminisced Sage Vyasa and his words. Rising from her bed, she said to Sanjaya – “Sanjaya!  Send a message this instant to my son or my brother Saguni saying that I need to see Duryodhana before the sunrise.”
      When the King enquired about the need, the Queen explained, “I remembered Sage Vyasa’s words. He once told me that the life I live with my eyes blindfolded is also like a yogic life and so all my powers are in my eyes. With that power, I can even turn anyone to ashes or even give life. I am going to transfer that power to my son, as a protective shield. I can at least save one son of mine.”
         Cheered on hearing Gandhari’s words, the King sent message explaining the need for Duryodhana’s visit. Saguni, on receiving the message, asked Aswathama to look for Duryodhana. Aswathama and Saguni went looking for Duryodhana in places near to the camp. With the help of the informers, they reached the lake where Duryodhana was hiding.
          “Duryodhana! Friend! Come out of the lake this instant. We have a battle to win.”- roared Aswathama.
          “I have no battle to win. I have no interest to win. There’s nothing for me anymore to fight or win. I lost everything. I am an open target in front of the Pandavas. They can hit me or even slay me, anytime.” – replied Duryodhana from beneath the lake.
          “Duryodhana, think about Karna. He fought for you. He wished to see you as the King. You, as a friend, have to fulfill his wish. This is the right time to avenge the Pandavas. And you have the right armor this time.”- Cheering, Saguni explained about the message he received from Hastinapur. “So, get out of the waters and go see your mother before sunrise. We have a battle to win, this time, for sure.”
          Cheered in Saguni’s words, Duryodhana came out of the lake and rushed in his chariot to the palace of Hastinapur. Krishna, who was in his bivouac, came to know about this through his yogic powers.
          Duryodhana reached the palace and went to the chambers of his mother, Queen Gandhari.
          “Remember Duryodhana! While you are going to see your mother, you should be naked. Only then her powers will make your body parts turn into indestructible and imperishable. You don’t need a suit of armor anymore.” – Duryodhana remembered Saguni’s words and undressed himself before entering the chambers.
          While he was walking naked, a young beautiful woman came out of the chambers with her heads lowered, holding a bowl in her hands. The woman was none other than Krishna!! Seeing her and thinking that she’s maid, Duryodhana hid his hip part with the banana leaf nearby. After the woman has crossed, Duryodhana stopped in front of the chamber and thought, “What if there are more maids with mother? I cannot go naked in front of them! What to do now?!”
          Thinking for a minute, he came up with an idea - “Well, in wrestling and in Mace fight, the rule says that the person should not be attacked beneath the hip part. So, even if I get to fight with Bhīma, the one who vowed to kill me, he cannot attack me below my hip. So, I will be safe even if I hid my hip and legs.”
          Duryodhana then, hiding his hip unto his thigh with banana leaves, entered her mother’s chamber. Bowing in front of his mother, Duryodhana stood, waiting for her mother to remove the piece of cloth she used to blindfold her eyes. Gandhari, thinking that Duryodhana is naked, removed her blindfold. As she opened her eyes, her powers hit Duryodhana directly. All her powers were transferred to Duryodhana’s whole body, except the covered body parts. Seeking blessing from his mother and the King, Duryodhana left for the camp, with new spirit and verve.

          Meanwhile, King Balram reached the bivouac of Krishna, returning from his pilgrimage tour. He came to know about Krishna’s strategies in defeating the mighty Pithamaha, Dronacharya and Karna. He, through his yogic power, came to know about Krishna’s act in the Palace of Hastinapur.
          “Krishna! Don’t you feel that you are being partial to the Pandavas?” – asked King Balram.
        “Brother! It’s war. A war fought for dharma to be sustained. My strategies are not for vanquishing Duryodhana but to sustain dharma. And Duryodhana and his warriors are in its way.So, it affects them. You can’t call it as partial. I do pity for Duryodhana and his followers. I gave them the chance to choose, I also gave them the liberty to choose sides. What they face is because of the result of what they chose. I care for everyone but I take special care of those who surrender unto me, irrevocably. Call it partiality but they have surrendered to me and it’s my responsibility to take good care of them. The Pandavas surrendered to me and it’s my duty to protect them, no matter what. Especially for Draupathi. All this I do to redeem her honor is no match to her devotion and surrender to me, amidst all those mighty warriors and her husbands in the court room. I can never repay to that surrender and trust. That blind belief, hope and surrender is all I seek.”- replied Krishna.
        “I know, brother. But, all your strategies are favoring the Pandavas to win. You tricked Pithamaha, Dronacharya and Karna, those undefeatable mighty warriors. Though on an argument, you can say that their death is the result of the sins they did, why are you playing tricks on a mother’s love? Moreover, the Pandavas should win, for once, using their talents. All they do is only fighting while you take care of the strategies. I know that you don’t care being called as trickster in the battlefield but as your elder brother, on behalf of our parents, I expect my brother to be remembered for his generosity and not only for his political tactics. I would like to ask you this as a favor. For once, let the Pandavas gain their victory by themselves. Don’t play any tricks in the battlefield. With you by their side, I know that the Pandavas’ victory is assured. But for once, let them make steps to reach the fruit of victory. Else, the people will lose hope in the mightiness of hard work and skills. I ask this as a favor from my brother.” – said King Balram.
       Thinking for few moments, Krishna looked up at his brother and said, “For once, tomorrow, the Pandavas will do everything in the battlefield using their strategies to earn victory. I assure you that I will be only a charioteer tomorrow.”
          In the meantime, reaching the camp, Duryodhana tested the mightiness of his hands, shoulders, stomach and chest using different weapons. Feeling more energetic, Duryodhana roared- “The end of the Pandavas starts with tomorrow’s sunrise. I am invincible!!!”
          Saguni, Salya and Aswathama cheered for Duryodhana.
          “O King, you are going to be our line of defense tomorrow. Bhīma is going to die in your hands tomorrow, unable to accomplish his vow. The battle will end tomorrow because of your mightiness.”-cheered Aswathama.
          “O friend! You are right! I am waiting to see that mighty Bhīma in a combat. You take care of the rest of the army and I will deal with the Pandavas. Let’s slay our foes before sunset, tomorrow. Well, for tomorrow’s war, Aswathama, tell me whom shall we address as the generalissimo?”- asked Duryodhana.
          Aswathama replied instantly – “O King, make King Salya, the ruler of Madra as the commander of your army. His prowess, fame, battling strategies and skills are well known by every Kshatriya and non-Kshatriya. His art of war is unique and undeniably exceptional. None can match to his prowess when he is raged.”
          Accepting Aswathama’s words, Duryodhana turned towards King Salya and said-“Uncle, your time has come to lead my army towards victory. I am glad to have such an intelligent and skilled warrior as my generalissimo. I would like to offer you the commander-in-chief of my army. Kindly accept my offer and protect us.  Lead my forces to victory.”
Duryodhana..invincible!!!
          King Salya, the ruler of Madra answered – “Duryodhana! O King, I serve for you in this war and it’s my duty to accept your command. I will do everything that you ask me to accomplish in this battle. I will do everything I can to ensure your victory or die trying.”
          Hearing King Salya’s words, Duryodhana cheered and said – “O King, slay the foes in the battle tomorrow. With you as the leader of my army, the Pandavas and their friends are going to rush towards the gates of the heaven in no time. My victory tomorrow is certain.”
          “O King, I assure you that the world will tomorrow behold my prowess, my skills, my strength and the mightiness of my weapons.”- replied Salya.
          Duryodhana then addressed King Salya as the commander-in-chief of the Kaurava army. The warriors roared in support and joy. Cheerful and energetic, they played various musical instruments. The warriors then, with a cheerful heart retired for the day, with new energy and power to battle and win.

                    

1 comment:

Featured post

Radha Ki Krishna!

She sees her within his eyes!            Radha! Radha Rani is the only person who loved and lived for Krishna, a selfless love, no d...