March 12, 2017

Kurukshetra War - Night 8




          Kauravas’ camp.  Returning from an arduous battle, the soldiers were engaged in dressing their wounds. The chariot riders were checking the conditions of the steeds. The warriors and the generals dealt with their weapons and army status for tomorrow’s array formation. Everyone was getting prepared to retire for the day as soon as possible.
      Duryodhana’s bivouac. Duryodhana, his beloved brother Duchadhana, Gandhara King Saguni, Salya, Aswathama and Karna were discussing about the day’s battling techniques, the faults made and about tomorrow’s requirements.
  “We have mighty Pithamaha as generalissimo and mighty Dronacharya, Krpacharya, Aswathama, King Bhagadatta and many more on our side. We have eleven Akshauhinis!!! Even after having all these, why is it that we are not able to finish those five sons of Pandu? I never thought that this war will even last for 8 days.” – Said Duchadhana in a dejected voice.
    “O Duchadhana, it’s because of the love those four mighty warriors viz., Pithamaha, Dronacharya, Krpacharya and King Salya have for the Pandavas. They are battling only to resist them. They aren’t fighting with any intention to slay those Pandavas.” – replied Saguni.
          “Undeniably, Uncle. I have no idea why they are behaving like this. Because of their love, the Pandavas are taking it as an advantage and are obliterating my forces. I am losing my hope of winning this battle because of their conduct.” – said depressed Duryodhana.
          Observing his friend’s depressed face, Karna said – “O friend! Don’t lose your hope. We will get our day of victory.”
          “Pithamaha is only using his years of skills and expertise in the battlefield against the chariot warriors and knights. He is not focusing on slaying the Pandavas. He is just being generous.” – said Aswathama.
          The chamber remained silent while everyone was thinking to themselves on how to solve this issue.
          “O Duryodhana! There’s one way for you to come out of this trouble. As the King, you have the right on your Generalissimo. Why not make him withdraw from his post?” – asked Saguni.         

“Uncle, look outside. We have these many soldiers and kings with us only because of him. They are devoted to Pithamaha. Not to me. Moreover, the soldiers follow their general’s command. Not the King’s.” – replied Duryodhana.
          “O Duryodhana! Why not make him withdraw staging wound issues or sickness. That way, we can make Karna as the commander- in-chief!” – Saguni explained his sly plan.
          “O Friend! King Saguni’s plan sounds profitable. If I am there in the battlefield,  I am sure the battle would not have lasted this long. With Pithamaha staying away from the battle, I will be your generalissimo and I will slay Arjuna and his mighty Somakas, the Pandyas and the Kekayas. We can seize Yudhistra in front of Pithamaha itself. You know, Arjuna’s fate is in my hand.” – said Karna, sounding excited.
          Everyone started to think about the victory and started to support the plan. “Indeed Duryodhana, Bhishma will not slay the Pandavas even if we are dead. So, our only option is to remove him from the battle. So, go to his marquee right now and beseech that old man to lay down his weapons. Pacify him. If not, command him to do so. We can win with Karna.” – urged Saguni.
          Rising from his seat, turning towards Karna, Duryodhana said – “Dear Friend! I will meet you in your tent after conversing with Pithamaha. From this night, I have hope in victory and throne for I have my trust on you, undeniably.”
          Duryodhana commanded his charioteer to ready his steed. He changed his attires and left to Pithamaha’s bivouac along with Duchadhana and few of his brothers. Witnessing Duryodhana hastening towards Pithamaha’s tent, the soldiers who were sleeping outside their tents woke up with confusion. They gathered alongside the path of Duryodhana and bowed. The archers and knights bowed to their King while few generals followed Duryodhana in their steed, sensing trouble.
          Reaching the quarters of Pithamaha Bhishma, Duryodhana descended from his steed. Followed by his brothers and generals, Duryodhana entered the chamber of Pithamaha. Pithamaha welcomed and greeted everyone. Bowing unto Bhishma, everyone sat on the seats, wondering how to start the conversation.
          Duryodhana rose from his seat and bent himself with hands joined. He then spoke with his voice filled with woe – “O Pithamaha, we entered this battlefield under your protection. With you as the lead, we could even win the Asuras and Devas. You, battling for us shows your love and care for the Kuru family and for me. To you, the Pandavas and their army is nothing, based on your years of expertise and talents.”
       “Duryodhana! What is the purpose of this visit? Speak freely.” –said Pithamaha, sensing Duryodhana’s cheese coated words.
       “‘Don’t worry, Duryodhana! I will slay those Panchalas, Somakas and Kekayas for you.’ These were your words, O Pithamaha. Spare the Pandavas. Banish their army alone as you have said and make your words true. Or else, slay the Pandavas. If your love for the Pandavas stops you from all these, I request you to be merciful towards me and allow Karna to fight.  Let him be my army commander.” – said Duryodhana.
          The tent was filled in silence. The generals were stunned to hear Duryodhana’s words. Filled with rage, Pithamaha glanced at Duryodhana with ire on his eyes and said – “Duryodhana! You are asking me to lay down my weapons. In all my years of battling, none has got the courage to ask me so. I have always battled for you, won countries for you and did all those that you desire. Why are you still being so harsh towards me?”
          “Pithamaha, Karna will fight for me and will get me my victory and the death of the Pandavas. With you as my commander in chief, I do not see those two to happen in near future.” – replied Duryodhana.
      “O Duryodhana! Why are you still not seeing the truth? The Pandavas are unbeatable. They will be invincible for they have Krishna by their side. You have personally witnessed Arjuna’s mightiness. Don’t you remember the incident where even Lord Agni came to him for help, in burning the forest? Or, the one where he rescued you and your wife from Gandharva King while your mighty Karna laid unconscious. Or… the one where he single-handedly terrified our army in Virata. And the incident where he defeated King Drupada for Dronacharya. Have you forgotten all those? With Krishna, the protector of the universe protecting Arjuna, there is no possible way to slay him. Though he is not fighting, Krishna is the supreme soul and he has more powers than we all can think of.” – Pithamaha stopped for a moment to grasp his breath and controlled his rage.
         He then continued - “O Duryodhana! You desire to be King and yet you still remain ignorant of what to speak and how to speak. Your words have hurt my heart so bad. You doubted my loyalty towards Hastinapur. You doubted my talent. I, vow in front of all these great men gathered. Listen carefully, O Duryodhana, I, shall slaughter the army of the Pandavas tomorrow, excluding Sikandi. I will not slay her even if I get to die because of her. I will slay them in battle and prove myself to you! Go and have a good sleep, O Duryodhana, for tomorrow is the day you wish to see.”
      Satisfied on Pithamaha’s words, saluting him, Duryodhana and the men gathered returned to their respective bivouacs. Duryodhana met Saguni and Karna and informed about his conversation in Pithamaha’s tent.
       “Duchadhana! Get the forces ready tomorrow. Pithamaha is filled with wrath and he has vowed to vanquish the Pandavas’ army. We must do all we can to protect him. I see a ray of hope!” –said Duryodhana with a bliss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Radha Ki Krishna!

She sees her within his eyes!            Radha! Radha Rani is the only person who loved and lived for Krishna, a selfless love, no d...