March 28, 2017

Kurukshetra War - Night 15


Final ceremony of Dronacharya!
With the death of mighty Dronacharya, the warriors of Kaurava army retired to their tents with hearts filled with grief, fear and hopelessness. There was absolute silence in the Kaurava camp. The soldiers, though they were tired, were unable to sleep, reiterating the images of slayed Drona and Arjuna in their mind. Tremor passed over their body thinking about their death in the war.
The Pandavas along with Krishna and Duryodhana along with his brothers, mighty Karna and Saguni assembled for the incineration of their beloved Dronacharya. Aswathama lit the fire and performed the customary rituals for his father. Staring at the Pandavas, Aswathama filled with rage vowed to kill the slayer of his father.
Duryodhana, Duchadhana, Karna, Saguni and Salya were present in Aswathama’s bivouac, mourning for the loss of Dronacharya. Inexpressive, none were able to console Aswathama.
“My father loved the Pandavas, especially the mighty Arjuna, more than me. How could they do something like that to him?!” – cried Aswathama, deprived of energy.
Duryodhana, trying to soothe his miffed friend, caressed Aswathama’s shoulder and spoke – “O My dear Aswathama! Those Pandavas were able to do this knowing about the guru’s love for them. They were sure that your father will not kill them. Those wicked souls of earth, supported by Krishna tricked your father and slayed him with the help of that mindless Dhrishtadyumna.  Just like how a lion even it’s tamed from cub will come back at you; the Pandavas did the same for your father too. Don’t you worry, O Friend! For sure, we will slay all of them, sparing none.”
Consoling their friend, everyone returned to Duryodhana’s bivouac. Unable to sleep, they all passed the night in Duryodhana’s bivouac, finding a tactic to slay the Pandavas.
“Wishing for throne, they are even prepared to slay their beloved Pithamaha and guru. They should be stopped and crushed, for sure, immediately. Pithamaha and Dronacharya, though they were fighting for me, their heart was fixed only on the victory of the Pandavas. That’s why the Pandavas were able to slay those illustrious souls who couldn’t even be killed by the devas and demons.” – addressed Duryodhana with rage.
Turning towards Karna and placing his hands on Karna’s shoulders, Duryodhana spoke with courage, “Dear Friend! My mighty souled Karna! I rely on you solely, my friend. O Son of Radhey! Only because of you, I have the hope and belief that the Pandavas can be slayed, especially Arjuna. You alone, my friend, have the power to singly fight against the whole army of the three worlds and emerge victorious. My fate is destined to your mightiness, dear friend.  Not as a King but as a friend, I trust you and hence, I place the burden of protecting my army, myself and my brothers on your shoulders. Strong and hopeful is my heart, only now, hoping for the death of the Pandavas.”
Karna as the Generalissimo of Kaurava army!
Karna, smiled at his friend and replied – “O Duryodhana! I have spoken these words to you earlier. I will vanquish those mighty Pandavas and slay Arjuna in my own hands.  Alone, I can defeat them and slay that wielder of Gandiva. Till I am alive, I assure you, you will live protected. No weapon on this world or in any world can kill you when I am there as your shield. I am your defender, dear friend.”
Cheered and spirited on listening to the words of Karna, Duryodhana announced Karna as the generalissimo of the Kaurava army. Duryodhana, himself, performed the customary rites and honored Karna and made him as the commander of his army in front of the monarchs in the Kaurava army.
“O Karna! I can see my cherishing moment of victory now itself. I can feel the victory. With you as the commander, the Pandavas are to be vanquished, forever, this time. I can’t wait to see Arjuna being crushed by you.” – said Duryodhana with a new wave of energy passing through his nerves.
The hope of victory was strong in the hearts of the Kaurava warriors. With a sense of satisfaction, they all went to sleep, expecting the expected dawn.
The King and the Queen of Hastinapur
Meanwhile, in Hastinapur Palace, the King who fainted on hearing about the death of Dronacharya regained his conscious. His heart was filled with grief for his son, for the death of guru and for the selfish thoughts of him leading to the death of his sons.
“Even the mighty Drona is slain by the Pandavas army. He alone has slaughtered two Akshauhinis of the Pandavas army. That brave warrior, the one who was always wishing for me and my sons’ welfare, the extremely intellectual and beloved soul on earth has finally reached the heaven, to the foremost seat reserved for him. All because of my selfishness and greed, all because of my ego, I have lost the two mighty defenders of Hastinapur and now, I lost hope in the victory of my son too. Destiny, I believe, has crushed every plan of mine and my sons. I wonder how my son, dear Duryodhana is holding himself at this time, with none to support him.”- with tears and grief blocking his voice, King Drithirashtra said to Gandhari, the Queen, who was seated next to him holding his hands.
Vidhura
Unto the King who was sitting with eyes filled with tears, Sanjaya informed about the happenings in the Kaurava camp. Relived on listening to Sanjaya’s words, the King spoke – “On him, that mighty Karna, high souled and kind hearted Karna, I place my trust too. Even though the Pandavas have Krishna on their side, with Karna protecting my son and leading the army even Arjuna cannot vanquish my son. Such is the prowess of Karna.”

Pleased on having Karna, the King retired for a good sleep, sharing the same hope and dream of his son, Duryodhana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Radha Ki Krishna!

She sees her within his eyes!            Radha! Radha Rani is the only person who loved and lived for Krishna, a selfless love, no d...